On Tuesday I was in tears. I’m almost ashamed to admit it, but it was over comments I was receiving about this post. And it was something of a snowball effect from the week before, when I took a bit of a smack-down over this post. Sadly, I wasn’t born with the thickest skin. While I don’t burst into tears at the first squeak of the naysayers, I can only handle so much before I feel a little shaken.
Anyway, I dried my tears, got my big girl panties out of their massive twist and did the only thing that seemed natural. I decided to quit.
It was a great decision that lasted for about 30 minutes, at which point I began to feel faint and short of breath. Note: Dramatization added for effect. Please don’t send me concerned emails or plan an intervention.
Clearly, I’ve decided to hang in there or I wouldn’t be here pestering you today. But it did occur to me that maybe blog readers just need a behind-the-scenes glimpse at blog writers. So here are a few things that might be helpful to know before you read another post:
- We don’t have all the answers and we know it. We are pilgrims on the same journey you are, making many of the same mistakes. Our sky isn’t bluer and our grass isn’t greener. We offer our perspective with the hope that it may help or inspire someone, not because we think we have the final authority.
- What works for us, may not work for you. And we’re okay with that. We’d much rather you follow what you hear the Lord speaking into your heart than what you see us writing on our pages. Seriously.
- We probably look a little more pulled together online than we do in real life. If you see us post pictures that speak of peace and tranquility just know we likely rifled through the rejects before we struck gold.
- We have days when we’re off our A game. We may write about the good stuff more often because our goal is to encourage you. But don’t be fooled, we deal with screaming babies, strong-willed teens, messy houses and bad hair days. Trust me, we’re doing you a favor by sharing all that only in small doses!
- We often use affiliate links. We aren’t trying to lure you in only to milk you dry. We share things which we truly believe have the potential to benefit our readers, whether or not we stand to earn a small commission from it. You are never under any obligation to utilize those links but may always choose to do so at your own discretion.
- We don’t mind if you disagree with what we write. Honestly. We do, however, prefer if you’d stop short of a full-on attack with guns blazing. Give us the benefit of the doubt and assume we aren’t trying to offend you. If all else fails, take the high road and walk away before unleashing a torrent of unsavory words on us.
- We really do like it when you speak up, though. Blogs were designed with a comment section as a sort of checks and balance system. Our views tempered by yours. We learn from you and value the comments that leave us challenged and inspired.
- Social media is more fun when comments are laced with grace. Those platforms are an extension of what you’ll find on our blogs. If you don’t enjoy what you read in the blog home you most certainly won’t like what you see in our outbuildings. If you choose to “follow” us there, keep in mind that places like Facebook are often far more interactive with even greater potential to encourage or crush the masses with uncensored words.
We really like you and the reality is, without our readers, there would be very little point to maintaining a blog. You’re a huge part of what makes our online world go ’round. But just as kids on the playground sometimes misunderstand each other’s motives, occasionally we forget not to get our dander up over nothing much.
So let’s just agree that at times we’re going to disagree. And let us purpose to find our common ground so we can sharpen one another rather than tear each other down.
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.